From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-11 17:06:13

From: "Paul Mensonides" <pmenso57_at_[hidden]>

> The STL analogy applies specifically to sequences. I don't mean that the
MPL
> has stuff that the STL doesn't or vice-versa. I mean that the
fundamental
> premise of the STL analogy is flawed with regard to sequences because the
actual
> reasons for that abstraction in the STL do not apply to template
> metaprogramming. The only thing that you really get out of it is
syntactic
> sugar and limited similarity to STL code--which is not nearly as strong
of an
> argument as you tend to make it (IMHO). :)

I don't know why you keep ignoring these two points:

1. You get the ability to operate on subsequences with the same algorithms
2. You get the ability to operate on typelist-style structures from
different libraries (e.g. Loki typelists, the types of a boost::tuple.

Even if you don't buy the need for different sequences, the plain fact is
that different sequences exist. It can be useful to be able to interoperate
with them.

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting