From: Eric Woodruff (Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-11 18:35:20

It's such an vacuous technicality to base anything on not being able to call
main. You imply that
1) C++ provides extra functionality for functions that the end user is
allowed to define but not legally allowed to call
2) this functionality was likely inherited from C
3) main is one of these special functions

I don't think so.

The only thing demonstrated by your statement is that the C++ language
likely suspects main as the only entry point, but it has already been said
over and over that C++ is not inherently multi-threaded.

It's just one more reason why main () should be hidden from the developer in
multi-threaded C++ because it introduces a duality that causes the issues
you've graciously pointed out.