From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-11 19:21:50

Bill,

That was very flexible of you: "I refuse to ..." ;-)

I hope you see Eric's point that the "single thread" rules, (inherited
from the C main entry convention) regarding C++ and main, are not
automatically applicable to the MT C++ we are dealing with.

You surely must appreciate the fact that we leave the safe world of C++
when we add this, OS-specific, thread dimension, i.e., we are not
dealing with the original semantics of C++, as defined in those 700+
pages...

This does not mean that we should not follow that intention as closely
as possible, but we should have the right to question certain implicit
mappings of terms made here, or?

I truly hope that this forum will be open for diverse interpretations of
how the C++ standard should be applied to MT C++, at least till such a
standard emerges (in, say, six years).

/David