From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 12:20:54

At Monday 2002/08/12 09:44, you wrote:
> [...]

I was referring to your example which you claimed couldn't be done
portably... as I recall it made a thread and pointed the execution address
&main

if I'm mistaken, I apologize. My "illegal C++" was an attempt to show what
"flow" would/could look like (depending on how the thread system treats
invocation.... "which instruction gets executed next?" the invoker or the
invokee).

> > If you assert that one is legal and the other isn't by the wording in the
> > standard, then either the standard is in error, or your interpretation is.
>
>I didn't assert that anything to do with MT was "legal". I asserted that
>the underlying libraries do something documented, and reasonable, as
>extensions to the standard. Calling main() in user code is, however, quite
>illegal, and not even provided as an extension by any platform I'm aware of.
>
> > I suspect that, in fact, the standard is silent on at least one of the
>above.
>
>But the thread APIs aren't.
>
> > If the standard is silent on a subject (and apparently it's exactly like
> > the tar baby with respect to threads) we should be able to choose a
> > behavior that isn't wildly at odds with the rest of the standard (i.e.
> > causes no real surprises).
>
>Only if the non-standard threading extensions explicitly allow it.

I'm suggesting as strongly as possible that they SHOULD allow it.

>and
> > >
> > >Where have I misread it?
> >
> > I have no idea where you misread it.
>
>Then stop making baseless accusations.

it's not baseless. you've come to what I believe to be an erroneous
conclusion from somewhere! I don't know where you got it.
it's kinda like trying to figure out where the "hippies" got the idea that
"Stranger in a Strange Land" was their "bible". I read the book in
high-school and _never_ would have interpreted it the way they seemed to.

> > You seem to think that some clause about uncaught exceptions in main()
> > applies to uncaught exceptions in another thread.
>
>I never made that claim. Better calm down and go back and read what I *did*
>say.

I can see we're both getting somewhat exasperated by this... a more useful
response would have been
"Better calm down and re-evaluate what 'blah blah (what you *did* say)'
means".
I'll go re-read the thread and see where I've misunderstood you.