From: Hillel Y. Sims (hsims_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 13:38:17

"William Kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

>This is the behavior of at least one thread today. Also, but reading the
>rules for the underlying thread APIs (or lack there of in this case) it's
>very possible, even probable, that there are implementations today that
>behave the way I've suggested (i.e. they terminate() on uncaught exceptions
>as well).

On VMS 7.3 with straight pthread-based code, unhandled C++ exceptions in a
thread (other than main()) result in immediate abnormal exit of the entire
process (however, terminate() is not called). (I would imagine that Tru64
Unix behaves the same way, since their threads implementations are virtually
equivalent.)

I believe overall I am in favor of calling terminate() on unhandled
exception in any thread, however I am uncertain whether there could arise
any deadlocks or race conditions via the use of custom terminate_handler
routines?

thanks,
hys

--