From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 23:37:06

At Monday 2002/08/12 11:48, you wrote:
> [...]

you are, of course, correct
In my haste, I didn't recognize your use of the name main (in function
main) where it should be _obvious_ (sarcasm intended) that it couldn't
possibly be mistaken for the address of a function.

"
>> boost::thread* main = new thread();
>> boost::thread thrd(boost::bind(&my_thread, main));
"
I have no idea why you (in your admitted haste) even considered such an
abomination.

>like
> > >
> > >Only if the non-standard threading extensions explicitly allow it.
> >
> > I'm suggesting as strongly as possible that they SHOULD allow it.
>
>But they _don't_. That's the point. They are mute on the subject, mostly
>because they are C APIs. This puts C++ developers in very murky waters, and
>they have to be very careful that what they do doesn't violate the rules for
>either the standard, or the library, and then hope (with reasonable
>assurances that it will) that things work the way they expect. That's why
>Boost.Threads came into being... to explore the dark corners, provide
>reasonable solutions today, and find which such solutions would be better
>implemented differently with language support.

I'm not sure that language support is all that's needed. Tho I really wish
_some_ HLL would get around to having a swap operator (declaring it needing
to be atomic would be ++good) it might even be sufficient.

as an aside, I _detest_ coding to the "lowest common denominator" which we
appear to "have" to do.

>purpose
> > >and
>poor

> > >Then stop making baseless accusations.
> >
> > it's not baseless. you've come to what I believe to be an erroneous
> > conclusion from somewhere!
>
>If you can define what's erroneous, let alone how it's erroneous, then the
>accusation is baseless. Believing I'm wrong is not the same thing as
>proving I'm wrong.

no kidding.... OJ isn't in jail.

> You could reword what you just said as an opinion, and I
>wouldn't object (though I'd still ask you to do the leg work to prove me
>wrong), but as it is you're not stating opinions but accusing me of
>something you can't prove. That's a baseless accusation.

Ok, it is my opinion that there is nothing in the standard (that has been
presented thus far) that would preclude implementing the separation of call
and return to/from a function via a thread mechanism, and that furthermore
exceptions _could_ be passed back when the return from the function was
instantiated.