From: Eric Woodruff (Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 08:24:12

Hrm, it's interesting that Stroustrup writes "... it would be a mistake to
assume that every exception derived from exception is a standard library
exception...", when elsewhere I believe that it is frowned upon. My point
is, that user exceptions likely aren't derived from std::exception and
shouldn't be. It would be a big mistake for Boost.Threads to only support
std::exceptions, especially since an already demonstrated implementation
does not preclude user defined types. (While it would be possible to create
a throws_std_exceptions policy, it would probably be too limited for
inclusion in boost.)

Another Stroustrup quote :) "A library shouldn't unilaterally terminate a
program. Instead, throw an exception and let a caller decide."

(I'd refer to Josuttis's book to see what you're talking about, but since it
was a requirement in a course I co-designed, I found it to be one of the
most unreadable references available--I traded it in at a used bookstore.)