From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 14:25:38

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Boost.Test currently includes 100K of Microsoft 6 project files in
> boost-root/libs/test/build.
>
> These add a lot of size to the distribution, are problems for CVS (which
> because they are binary, require a full copy every time there is a change,
> increasing the cost of backup), are of no use to non-Microsoft users, on a
> format that MS typically changes with each release, and are trivial for a
> user do duplicate (since Boost.Test doesn't require sophisticated build
> techniques).
>
> I think they should be removed. Am I just being grouchy, or do others
> agree?

First, I agree.

Second, out of curiousity, what are the files in question? The only MSVC
files that should (ever) be checked into a source control system are the
.dsp and .dsw files (or for VC7, the .sln & .vcproj files). These are all
text files and are quite ammenable to source control - changes made to the
project in the IDE tend to modify the underlying text file exactly as you'd
expect, making diffs of .dsp files doable and useful.

If there are .ncb, .opt, .ilk or .idb files checked in, they definitely
should be removed from CVS, IMHO.

-cd