From: Eric Woodruff (Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 15:25:22

Here's another alternative. Instead of relying on the reference-catching
mechanism, which properly deletes behind the scenes, the user can use
handles (shared_ptrs) of their exception they want to catch. They can easily
allocate their implementation of an abstract exception type on the heap and
pass it through correctly.

As long as the shared_ptr paradigm for hierarchical exceptions is used
consistently, there is no problem. (That is unless the compiler has trouble
receiving a boost::shared_ptr<std::invalid_argument> as a
boost::shared_ptr<std::exception>.)

Using the paradigm ubiquitously eliminates the fork between threaded and
non-threaded versions of their functions and allows hierarchical exception
specifications to thread<>.