From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 18:28:36

Does it not seem a bit overkill to replicate the whole C++ at a meta
level :-?

The only thing I wanted out of this discussion was to have the thread
terminate as the default behavior, instead of the whole program. That
now seems to be the asymptotic consensus in this meta-thread, so I am
satisfied.

If I care that much about the exception, I would probably have
implemented a more direct thread communication mechanism (e.g., shared
memory + monitors), which would, obviously, require me to be the
implementer of that "other thread".

The case is that we cannot know the exact reason for an independent
thread's death, or exceptional behavior, since the "language of the
thread is foreign". Even if we could overcome this situation by some
clever extra-language tricks, why would we? If we managed to have the
bits copied properly in our thread space, what sense would it make?

I kind of liked the idea of having the "what" copied somewhere (was it
Bill?), for logging and analytical purposes. That text is probably the
best info we have in the general case.

/David