From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-14 13:47:36

At 01:29 PM 8/14/2002, Rozental, Gennadiy wrote:

>> IMHO, so long as HTML is the Boost standard documentation format, I
>> think we should keep things restricted to vanilla HTML.
>Javascript is a legal part of HTML at least for ~6 years now. And it is
>standart supported everywhere.
>
>> I am all for using tools to generate that HTML where useful and do so
>myself, but I
>> think the distributed docs should be simple.
>I do not use documentation generation tools and javascript is the only
>reasonable way to support different pages in sync.

Gennadiy,

Any small advantages from using javascript are swamped by the disadvantage
that the docs from your library is are different enough from other Boost
libraries that it is disconcerting to users.

At least on my setup, the Boost.Test docs don't look as nice as the other
libraries. The animation is particularly irritating to my eye. The grey
border detracts, too, IMO.

It is fun to try different web page tricks. But maybe not for the Boost
docs.

--Beman