From: Ronald Garcia (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-14 15:04:18

Ronald Garcia wrote:

> My R of TFM (which happened before I asked :) ) seems to suggest that
> "-I" will suffice (info pages for the gnu C preprocessor). Is there a
> difference? (besides breaking on my architecture ;) )

In answer to my own question, it turns out there *is* a difference, but
it's sure funky.

Using gcc to preprocess code under solaris shows that one thing changes
in the output: The line directives.
Line number information includes a line number a filename and flags.
One flag indicates that "the following text comes from a system header
file, so certain warnings should be suppressed." This is indicated by
the flag number "3"

Another says "the following text should be treated as C." This is flag
number "4"

using -isystem is adding both the 3 and 4 flags to line number
information. Now, perhaps the config library needs the "3" flag for
something under linux, but for some reason both the "3" and "4" added to
the output under solaris cause problems.

ron