From: Andreas Huber (spam2002_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-19 15:04:01

Alexander,

> Transactional stuff like ATM cards, etc. should be released/rollbacked
> by some isolated external watcher/observer/manager or just on the next
> automatic restart after abnormal termination with "uncommitted" stuff.
>
> Or am I just missing something?

Not likely. I agree that using an external watchdog is probably the most
secure solution but at the same time also more complicated than the one I
described.
We considered returning the card after/during automatic restart but as that
takes about 2 minutes it's likely that someone else will get the card (you'd
rather retain the card than allowing that to happen). It takes that long
because we also shutdown and restart Windows for safety reasons
(unfortunately 3rd party drivers get into an invalid state quite often).

Regards,

Andreas