From: Greg Colvin (Gregory.Colvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-20 11:14:57

So here is a challenge: apply the tricks in maybe_semi_portable_ptr
to reimplement boost::shared_ptr and boost::intrusive_ptr so that
their size is just one pointer. It is OK if this implementation is
not portable, since we already have a portable implementation. It is
not OK to change their interface.

And a common. As I recall, the first ptr<> in this thread was a very
fast and simple wrapper for a pointer that tried to solve just one
problem: insert, remove, and sort ptr objects in a container, and
delete the pointed-to objects when the container is destroyed. No
reference counting needed. That still seems like a useful goal that
has been lost.