From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-21 08:23:37

From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>

> At 05:14 PM 8/20/2002, Derek Ross wrote:
>
> >Is there still interest in printf-styled formatting capabilities in
> boost?
>
> The Format library we accepted awhile ago will be in 1.29.0, which is
> scheduled to branch-for-release on Thursday.
>
> That doesn't mean we can't consider another format lib, but the interest
> might not be too high unless the new submission is enough better that it
> overpowers the existing lib.

In the spirit of the recent discussion on competition in Boost, I feel compelled
to point out that there may well be interest in a new library if it offers a
divergent design or set of features. IOW, if it is simpler to use and
understand, provides simpler syntax, or otherwise differs sufficiently from the
Format library, there may be interest. OTOH, if it is not much different, then
there will be little interest aside from possibly modifying the Format library
to take advantage of any new ideas.