From: Maxim Shemanarev (mcseem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-21 23:15:28

> What we really would want is syntax for rationals, like "a/b". That
> rational could then be compiled using the double precision internal ALU
> stuff of most architectures when multiplied with either another rational
> or an integer. Maybe "rat<a,b>"?

> It is getting late, so this "suggestion" is a bit whimsical,
> admittedly... But it would keep the integers as is, not to break
> existing code (not that much code would, I agree...)

Of couse I understand it's not real to change things. I told about it from
the very beginning. A syntactic construction as rat<a,b> would be actually
great. The <> is a common tampion in C++ now :-) Anything is acceptable in
case if it's univocally interpretable.

> but more importantly to make expressions context-sensitive,
> which might NOT be a good idea for RHS expressions...

No! Please, no so called "context sensitivity", please. It will screw up the
language that's already screwed up enough. :-)

McSeem