From: Maxim Shemanarev (mcseem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-22 00:35:03

> I realize that I should restate two things:
>
> 1. Dealing with integers in a context-sensitive manner would complicate
> semantics

Not appropriate at all. No "context sensitivity" in computer languages.

> 2. Introducing "fractional" syntax would underline the main purpose,
> multiplying a rational number with a whole or other rational number.
> Does that not cover most cases where this would be useful?

Well, it's actually hard to say. What's a rational number? Afterall any
double is a rational number. There're no irrationals in the discrete
systems. I have explained the main difference between floating point and
integers in some previous post and I believe we don't need any universe-wide
solution. All we need is a simple single function y=x*a/b but NOT a general
solution. I also have written why it's impossible.