From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-22 17:31:38

>From: "Gennaro Prota" <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]>

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:40:00 +0200, Alberto Barbati
> <abarbati_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> >In fact, one thing that striked me at first when studying lexical_cast is
> >that with the current implementation, the expression:
> >
> >boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(std::string("hello, world"))
> >
> >not only does not return the string "hello, world" but throws an
> >exception because of the space. It's very counter-intuitive, IMHO.
>
> This is not true, because in that case lexical_cast uses
> direct_cast_base.

Yes, but he said "the current implementation". ;) This means the one in
Boost, not the proposition in the "Files" section. The proposition handles
this correctly, yes.

He mentions later that he checked out the proposition, too.

> BTW, you said that your question arose on the STLport forum. From what
> I've seen that forum seems quite extinguished however: a few time ago
> we reported a bug (actually it's the same bug repeated in more that
> one function) that concerns extraction of integers from streams.
> Nobody replied. Should we mail Boris directly?

The STLPort site doesn't appear to be much maintained. For example the
docs-link goes to a wrong link at SGI.

Regards,

Terje