From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-28 01:04:58

Just to set (pun intended) record straight. I find the name "set" as used
in the STL far outside any "set" concept I had before I encountered it
(with the possible exception that you can add elements until you get
tired...it has no pre-defined size)

At Tuesday 2002/08/27 10:31, you wrote:
>Rich,
>
>Mathematically it is obviously a set (although ordered), I was more
>worried about programmer's conception of a set, such as the STL set
>(which is not an unstructured set..), Pascal's set etc.

Any programmer coming from Pascal is already confused by the STL set which
doesn't behave at all like a Pascal set. This mimics Pascal set to an
amazing degree, missing only the ability to unambiguously say "set of
sometype".

> All those
>concepts are open, in that any element of the correct type (where type
>is different from a simple, often short, enumeration) can be added.
>Thus, there is no "universal set" embedding all possible sets.
>
>Your construct does have a universal superset, and is in that case
>bounded (more than discrete, which holds for most (or all if you are
>bit-inclined) computer set concepts).
>
>Thus, your "discrete_set" type is more aligned with the "domain" and
>"constraint" concepts found in (Finite Domain) Constraint Programming.
>
>I do not want people to expect the common set properties

what do YOU consider common set properties?
I certainly never considered "find_equal_range()" to be a "common set property"