From: Greg Colvin (Gregory.Colvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-29 20:11:18

At 06:20 PM 8/29/2002, Philippe A. Bouchard wrote:
>- I have renamed ptr<> to placed_ptr<>;
>
>- Benchmark confirming speed benefits;
>
>- placed_ptr<> went back to possible explicit specializations: if you
>really want to disable dynamic_cast<>s (0.01 more second for 10000 copies
>500 times):

The compiler on my machine emits a function call for dynamic_cast to void*,
plus whatever that function does, which seems a lot of overhead compared to
the two masks and two memory references than an implemention based on size-
segregated allocation would require.

Perhaps the compilers you have tested do a better job?