From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-01 13:22:05

Dave,

There is no need to cool me; I appreciate that Carlos tool will be used
in memory critical situations, and that there could be reasons to be
cautious with memory allocation.

I do not want a Boost.Demangle to use allocator parameters without at
least a discussion.

I saw a proposal using streams, which at least would void the need to do
the "external" allocation for the string object. The internal memory
management, necessary for the demangling process, is a different story.
Unfortunately, stack allocation, as suggested by someone, would probably
not be a good choice; the debugging might be needed in tight stack
situations, such as deep recursions.

The *only* solution I see is to preallocate memory for internal
purposes, no matter what target platform and processor architecture; I
might need some further insight here, since you said there are lots of
possible approaches.

Regards,

David