From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-02 07:00:17

At 03:30 AM 9/2/2002, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>> >Those are basically a simple unit test for the documentation. I am
using
>> >them to make sure that docs works properly on different browsers. Do
we
>> >have a way to prevent some files from being published in
distribution?

>> .cvsignore maybe. See
>
>No. It should stay under control of cvs. What I meant to ask is whether
>there is a way to prevent those files from appearing in boost
deliverables,
>IOW in archives you are creating? I realize that some people will use cvs

>get the boost. But I would consider them as advanced users (or
developers),
>so it would not hurt. BTW the Boost.Test MSVC projects are in the same
bag.
>They are not only could be useful for MSVC users, but are used by me for
>Boost.Test development. I basically do not have other place to put them.
>general <lib>/tools directory content usually always in the same
position.
>It's not required by the "end" user, but used by developer.

The utility of what you are suggesting would be most useful if we ever
decide to provide several alternate editions of each Boost release.

But just to hide a small number of files, it sounds like more trouble than
it is worth unless CVS itself can be used to make the selection. That
might be done by putting the files that are not to be included in
distributions on a branch, for example. But that causes its own set of
problems. People thinking that files are missing because they didn't access
the right branch, for example.

At one time, certain files were added and removed (by release scripts) from
the CVS files to make up the final distribution. That proved a maintenance
headache; depending just on CVS has proved much more reliable.

--Beman