From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-05 11:51:40

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 2:00 AM, vawjr_at_[hidden] wrote:

> At Wednesday 2002/09/04 23:29, you wrote:
>> I've tried looking at the directions at SourceForge, but I'm getting
>> denied. There are Mac directions only for pre-X Macs, so I tried to
>> adapt
>> the general UNIX directions. When I tried to enter the command:
>>
>>> [Daryle-Walkers-Computer:Programming/Boost/BoostCVS] daryle% cvs -z3
>>> -d:ext:dlwalker_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost checkout >
>>> boost
>
> "checkout > boost" ???
> I've haven't used a Mac in decades, but that ">" certainly looks
> peculiar.
> on unix and windows the > attempts to redirect the standard output
> someplace
> I find it difficult to believe that Apple would have messed up their
> command line syntax so as to interfere with this "almost" standard
> usage.
> try it withOUT the ">"

That ">" is _not_ there; it is a cut & paste artifact, sorry.

>> I got rejected with:
>>
>>> cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot exec: No such file or directory
>>> cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above
>>> messages
>>> if any)
>>
>> I did a "setenv CVS_RSH=ssh" before the CVS attempt. If anyone is
>> using
>> Mac OS X for Boost with CVS, can they help me out (privately)?

I finally got it to work. I decided to look for Usenet clients for my
computer and saw one that was a SourceForge project. That author had
CVS setup directions for Mac OS X! Take a look at
<http://sourceforge.net/docman/
display_doc.php?docid=9468&group_id=26193>.

I used commands like:

cvs -z3 -d:ext:dlwalker_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost co
boost/

and

cvs -z3
-d:ext:dlwalker_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost-
sandbox co boost-sandbox

to do the work.

Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, Video Game Junkie