From: Guillaume Melquiond (gmelquio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-06 06:05:31

On 6 Sep 2002, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> "David Bergman" <davidb_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> | Wait,
> |
> | I agree with this case, brought forward by both Dave and Sylvain: that
> | using intervals in STL in these "relational" positions, such as keys, is
> | a bit strange.
>
> Suppose you want to locate zeros of polynomials. One practice is to
> use intervals to provide boxes for the zeros (and their estimated
> multiplicities). In such case, it makes sens to use known intervals
> as keys for recording estimated zeros and astimates multiplicities.
>
> -- Gaby

I can imagine a lot of situations where somebody would like to use
intervals as keys. However I don't really see a case where it is needed
to have another order than the lexicographic one. In particular, if the
intervals don't overlap, it can be used as a positional relation.

Could you explain what kind of order you need in your example about the
roots of a polynomial?

Thanks,

Guillaume