From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-09 17:54:25

"Terje Slettebø" <tslettebo_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> > You also have to forbid leading spaces after tabs (for instance, to
indent
> > a partial tab...6 spaces, on a 4-space tab).
>
> No, that's ok, as long as the space is used for alignment, not to denote
> indentation level.

That's a maintenance nightmare.

> [...]
> Here's a solution ("*" = space):
>
> class foo
> {
> <tab>*************foo() { }
> <tab>void********bar() { }
> };
> [...]

Maybe I'm not a perfect coder, but during the course of editing code,
I break lines in the middle and re-indent them, combine lines, and all
other manner of combination. It would be a major PITA to have to go
and recheck every line to make sure it had the proper combination of
leading tabs and spaces. Maybe you just type all your code correctly
the first time. ;)

Dave