From: Damien Fisher (damien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-09 20:21:09

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 08:36:44PM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:

> My advice to you, Paul, if the abhorrence gets too strong, is to learn
> emacs -- you can get it do that tab/spaces round-trip conversion every time
> you open or save a file, or even just make groups of spaces "act like
> tabs". Of course, a relationship with emacs is a lifelong
> project ;-)

This page is useful:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

It has a nice overview of the whole issue, and isn't *too* biased. But,
more importantly, it has instructions on how to do various tab-y,
space-y things in both emacs and the One True Editor (vim).

This is useful for people (like me) whose abhorrence of emacs is greater
than their abhorrence of tabs :).

Damien

PS: My relationship with emacs was a sordid, one night affair. Soon
after I ran into vim and never looked back :).