From: Carlo Wood (carlo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-12 09:35:24

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:01:37AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> Why are you running "jam"?
> Don't all the instructions indicate you should run "bjam"?
>
> I'm very curious about what documentation you've been looking at and how
> you found it, since everything you've been doing is based on traditional
> Perforce Jam but everything we've got posted at boost (to my knowledge)
> gives instructions for using Boost.Jam/Boost.Build. Please let us know so
> others don't fall into the same trap!

I can't remember exactly... But I started reading on

http://www.boost.org/

being a very busy Open Source developer, you will understand that I didn't read
that page from top to bottom, I think I immedeately clicked on

"Boost (Developers)"

looking for what to do for submission of a new project/library.
However, my browser still shows which links I looked at from this
page. The ones marked with a '*' I did read completely top to bottom:

http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#main
        "Boost developers mailing list (also available via newsgroup)"
        and subscribed.

http://www.boost.org/more/faq.htm
        read all questions only and clicked on the following links:

        "Library Submission Process"
 * http://www.boost.org/more/submission_process.htm

           from there I read "Preliminary submission"
 * http://www.boost.org/more/submission_process.htm
            from there "files section"
            http://www.yahoogroups.com/files/boost/

         "Library Guidelines"
 * http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm
          from there "configuration header"
          http://www.boost.org/libs/config/config.htm
          and "header policy"
 * http://www.boost.org/more/header.htm
           and "Library reuse"
 * http://www.boost.org/more/library_reuse.htm
           and "Implementation Variation"
          http://www.boost.org/more/imp_vars.htm

it was on http://www.boost.org/more/submission_process.htm
that I read:

        "Preliminary submission"

        If response to an initial query indicates interest, then post
        the preliminary submission files in the files section of the
        Boost YahooGroups web site if you haven't already done so.

because I don't want to "give away" my code (add the boost license)
until after it is accepted for inclusion, I went to yahoo for a look
around:

So on "http://www.yahoogroups.com/files/boost/" my eye fell on

   Build System
   Boost build system release dave_abrahams 05/28/2001

Then I downloaded and installed "boost-jam".

this rpm contains:

~/c++/libcwd>rpm -ql boost-jam
/usr/bin/jam
/usr/doc/boost-jam
/usr/doc/boost-jam/INSTALL
/usr/doc/boost-jam/Jam.html
/usr/doc/boost-jam/Jambase.html
/usr/doc/boost-jam/Jamfile.html
/usr/doc/boost-jam/README
/usr/doc/boost-jam/RELNOTES

I've been reading this documentation in order to get this
(for me new) jam stuff working. Using '/usr/bin/jam'
to compile it.

Now you tell me how I SHOULD have clicked to end up reading
something that explains to me clearly how to set up a build system :/

--
Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]>