From: William Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-14 10:41:25

The formal review for the Filesystem Library starts today and ends Sept. 23.
  I'm the review manager, and Beman Dawes is the submitter. Guidelines on
forma reviews can be found at
http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm.

Here's a brief description of where to find the review files and other
pertinant information:

>In preparation for the upcoming formal review of the Filesystem Library,
>final versions have been committed to the sandbox and the .zip file of the
>entire library has been refreshed at
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/filesystem/filesystem.zip
>
>Following the example of the Interval Library, the docs have also been
>uploaded to the files sections, so they can be browsed online without
>having to download anything. Start at
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/filesystem/index.htm
>
>Changes from the prior version:
>
>* Docs improved.
>* The directory_iterator implementation now uses boost::iterator_adaptor<>.
>* Deprecated path:: functions removed.
>* remove() function no longer throws on !exists(path).
>
>After long discussions of the last point on the list, I had promised to
>review the issue before the formal review. It is a tough call because there
>are no killer arguments either way. In the end, the slightly easier-to-use
>argument won over the slightly safer argument.
>
>AFAIK, the library should work with most compilers. It passes its tests for
>the usual Boost regression test Win32 compilers, John Maddock has used it
>on Linux, and Toon Knapen has used it on AIX.
>
>The remaining tasks are to flesh out the file and directory name
>portability checking functions and documentation, and port to the Mac.
>Those involve asking others to contribute work, so I don't want to do that
>until the library itself (hopefully!) passes formal review.

Bill Kempf
williamkempf_at_[hidden]