From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-20 11:25:05

At 08:49 PM 9/19/2002, Glen Knowles wrote:

>I think of the windows c:, d: as being analogous to the host name of a
URL.
>From my viewpoint these are all absolute paths:
>
>http://host.com/foo/bar
>http:/foo/bar
>c:/foo/bar
>/foo/bar
>
>The first two are both defined as absolute URLs, with and without an
>authority. I believe "absolute" and "drive" are orthogonal.

If you go down that road, then you need another term to describe a path
that has both. Peter Dimov's [make_]absolute needs another name, because
it has a postcondition that the returned path both "has_drive" and
"has_root_directory".

IOW, there are three conditions we need nice names for:

    (1) Has a drive, volume, device, share, or file system name.
    (2) Begins at the root directory.
    (3) Both (1) && (2).

--Beman