From: Misha Bergal (mbergal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-23 15:12:10

> Is it possible to open (and then read) such a file using std::fopen()?
>
> If the answer in yes, then the Filesystem Library should be
> able to traffic
> in those file names too, using the same mechanisms (8.3 names
> or whatever).
> This rationale will be particularly important for operating
> systems which
> allow MBCS names.

OK, suppose for a minute that I have to implementations on Win32:

1. In first one std::fopen cannot open Unicode named file
2. In second one std::fopen can - using UTF-8

If I understand you correctly - in first case FileSystem library won't
support Unicode names and in second one it will. I am confused how -
FileSystem will switch it's internal implementation based on the mechanism
std::fopen uses. But FileSystem library doesn't have access to the internals
of std::fopen implementation.
I just don't see the way it might work - probably, I misunderstood what you
were saying.

Please correct me
Misha