From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-23 17:47:52

Special functions are a __really__ important unmet need,
so a contribution would be most welcome, though I fear a very big job.

I also have reservations about NR algorithms
(having tried them - apart from licence problems)
and strongly commend Cephes http://www.moshier.net for quality but
the licence is GPL and not Boost, but perhaps the author would
permit reissue. Perhaps Boost should approach him? But he may be
licencing it for commercial use already?
But Cephes is that it is definitely a C program and not C++,
and only really deals with the double case.
It does not meet Boost standards at all
(though numerically it seem OK, and perhaps provides a cross check on
accuracy).

So a new contribution is of great interest.

Testing for accuracy seems a major problem.
It requires reference values, and these are thin on the ground.

NIST were talking about a new attack on this problem, but I have
not seen any recent progress. Any gossip from Boosters?

Paul

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]