From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-25 20:47:53

At Wednesday 2002/09/25 14:51, you wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 03:30:24PM -0400, Jeffrey C. Jacobs wrote:
> > Actually, the MSVC++ compiler considers __int<x> as separate types from
> int,
> > long, etc. (having checked the name mangling -- what a mess they make of
> > specializations with these MS-types!!).
>
>If I recall correctly, in VC6 the various __intX types were not
>distinct. That is, they were treated as if they were all the same type.
>In VC7, however, the documentation says:
>
> "The types __int8, __int16, and __int32 are synonyms for the ANSI
> types that have the same size, and are useful for writing portable
> code that behaves identically across multiple platforms. The __int8
> data type is synonymous with type char,

unfortunately. if you cout << some__int8 <<.......
it will put one char in the output stream.

it would be really nice if someone would straighten them out.

> __int16 is synonymous with
> type short, and __int32 is synonymous with type int. The __int64 type
> has no ANSI equivalent."
>
>The way I interpret this, __int32 is indeed the same type as int - in
>VC7 at least, but probably not VC6.
>
>(I do wonder where they got this idea about using __intX types for
>"writing portable code that behaves identically across multiple
>platforms", however :)
>
>/Mattias
>--
>Mattias Flodin <flodin_at_[hidden]> - http://www.cs.umu.se/~flodin/
>Room NADV 102
>Department of Computing Science
>Umeå University
>S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
>--
>"The WM_NULL message performs no operation. An application sends the WM_NULL
>message if it wants to post a message that the recipient window will ignore.."
> -- Microsoft Platform SDK documentation

Victor A. Wagner Jr. http://rudbek.com
PGP RSA fingerprint = 4D20 EBF6 0101 B069 3817 8DBF C846 E47A
PGP D-H fingerprint = 98BC 65E3 1A19 43EC 3908 65B9 F755 E6F4 63BB 9D93
               "There oughta be a law"