From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-28 22:58:05

>From: "Björn Karlsson" <Bjorn.Karlsson_at_[hidden]>

> > From: Stefan Hojer [mailto:redcube_at_[hidden]]
>
> > I wrote a bugfix to lexical_cast which corrects 2 bugs and one little
> > improvment:
> >
> > 1. boost::lexical_cast<char>(' ') works fine.
> > 2. boost::lexical_cast<std::string>("This is a test") works fine.
> > 3. no conversion is done if Source and Target-Types are identical
> >
> > Well... i think the code is not 100% conformant to the boost-coding
> > standart. Who cares... This can be done if the code will find
> > its way to
> > the real library
> >
> > --
> > MfG, Stefan Hojer
>
> These two bugs, and a few more, (re)appear on the list every few weeks.

Indeed. And it will continue until it gets fixed.

> Work
> is being done on getting an improved lexical_cast in place, but due to a
> number of reasons, this won't happen until 1_30_0. There's a proposed
> version in the files section at Yahoo Groups, which addresses these issues
> and more.

Since there are more than one version in the files section, the proposition
in question is this
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/lexical_cast_proposition/). It
has also been planned to incorporate Gennadiy's optimisation proposal, given
in the other proposition.

> Anyway, I'll forward your suggestions to the maintainer of lexical_cast.

The three points above, and more, is present in the proposed new version.
The info is given in that file.

Regards,

Terje