From: Guillaume Melquiond (gmelquio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-30 05:31:49

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Anthony Williams wrote:

> Guillaume Melquiond writes:
> > On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Joerg Walter wrote:
> >
> > > I've started to change directory and namespace structure from
> > >
> > > /boost/numeric/ublas
> > > boost::numeric::ublas

> > > /boost/numerics/ublas
> > > boost::numerics::ublas.
> > >
> > > I'll try to commit these changes ASAP.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Joerg
> >
> > I may have missed something; but I still don't understand why this change
> > is necessary. Indeed, the Boost include search path doesn't contain
> > 'boost' (all the libraries are included by '#include
> > <boost/apath/alibrary.hpp>'. So when a program uses "#include<numeric>',
> > the compiler (even if it has some problems) should never find
> > 'boost/numeric/' since it's not in the search path; it can only find
> > 'numeric', which is expected.
>
> If a compiler treats <> and "" the same in #include directives, and #include
> <numeric> appears in a boost header, this will cause a problem.
>
> Anthony

Okay, I understand your point. But unless I did a mistake, the only
'boost/' header that uses 'numeric' is 'multi_array.hpp' (there is no
problem with subheaders, is there ?). So instead of making huge changes
to uBLAS and the documentation and breaking all the programs that are
currently using uBLAS, wouldn't it be better to make a small change to
'multi_array.hpp'.

For example, the '#include <numeric>' could be changed to
'#include <boost/multi_array/numeric_proxy.hpp>'. And 'numeric_proxy.hpp'
would contain only one line: '#include <numeric>'. It would be a safer
and easier change.

Guillaume