From: Anthony Williams (anthwil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-02 03:58:51

Markus Schöpflin writes:
> David Abrahams wrote:
> >
> > From: "Markus Schöpflin" <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]>

> > can be

> > > Doesn't the flag -f do what you want event without tagging the release
> > > branch after creation?
> > >
> > > cvs update -f -jRC_whatever_last_merge -jRC_whatever
> >
> > I don't know, does it?
>
> Maybe a cvs guru can shed some light on this... Anyone out there?

I am not a CVS guru, but to quote from the cederqvist on update options:

"-f Only useful with the "-D date" or "-r tag" flags. If no matching revision
is found, retrieve the most recent revision (instead of ignoring the file)."

"cvs update -jRC_whatever" merges the revisions from where the RC_whatever
branch forked from the trunk into your current sandbox. Multiple merges from
the same branch will create conflicts, unless you use two -j options,
like.....

Dave's suggestion of using an "RC_whatever_last_merge" tag has the advantage
that you can merge more than once from the same branch, provided you move the
tag after each merge. This looks like a good idea to me.

Anthony