From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-08 16:15:08

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 02:14 PM 10/8/2002, David Abrahams wrote:
>
> >Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> research.

> >> Yes, but the fix HTMLTidy suggested apparently didn't work for a
> >> common browser. That is what I found scary.
> >
> >It didn't work because the anchor still had the non-matching illegal
> >name with the space in it. Makes complete sense to me.
>
> Sure it makes sense, but the net result was that a link which worked
> with the two most common browsers (IE and Netscape) no longer worked.

I don't see what point you're trying to make. I'm using Tidy as a
validity checker/fixer. Configured the way it is, it's doing its job
perfectly. There's nothing scary to me about the fact that it says
"this link is invalid, I'm changing it to something legal". I could
turn that check off, but then I would be writing invalid HTML.

How can you expect it to figure out the "right way" when there's no
legal way to refer to an illegal URI?

--
           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting