From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-09 11:48:47

Philippe A. Bouchard wrote:

>Hi,
>
> I would like to know more about the concepts behind shared_cyclic_ptr.
>I am convinced placed_ptr<> is optimized enough... deallocation optimization
>was highly probably already defined by the Standards Committee. Before we
>start, I was wondering if this possibility was included in some other form:
>
>- record each heaped shared_ptr<> instanciation in a static list;
>- record each heap allocation address in some static list;
>- record each heap allocation size in a static list;
>- when memory is exausted, figure out which shared_ptr<> is a member of a
>heap block to isolate cycles.

See http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/garbage_collect.asp. I also started
a comparison
of this and other gc methods in boost, but never got around to finishing
the html
files. I could upload these if you wouldn't mind the incompleteness. They
do outline some of the memory and time uses; however, its pretty dry
reading.