From: Iain K.Hanson (iain.hanson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-09 12:23:39

Just to add to that, pointer bit patterns are hardware, o/s, and compiler
vendor dependant. I.e iirc on vax vms with dec C compiler, the null pointer
was implemented as an alternating bit pattern of zeros and ones. This was
for detection of null pointer de-reference.

To quote from stroustrup 3e original edition, section 10.4.11 ( page 256
in my copy ) ( less definative than the standard but probably more
accessable):

"The reinterpret_cast is the crudest and potentially nastiest of the type
conversion operators (s6.2.7). In most cases, it simply yields a value with
the same bit pattern as its argument with the type required. Thus, it can be
used for the inherently implementation-dependant, dangerous, and
occasionally
absoutely necessary activity of converting integer values to pointers and
vice
versa."

For a fully explanation see section 6.2.7 in the same book.

/ikh