From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-12 08:12:34

At 08:38 PM 10/11/2002, Joel de Guzman wrote:

> [...]

Although it is not a Boost convention, it isn't uncommon for coding
conventions to call for implementation and/or private member names to be in
the form name_.

Thus for those of us that see that all time in industrial code, it is
jarring to see name_ used otherwise.

I've also noticed that names which begin or end with underscore tend to
cause long discussions or downright arguments, and are thus best avoided in
the interest of moving forward.

Those aren't particularly strong arguments, but they are strong enough to
make me avoid leading or trailing underscores except when they serve some
special worthwhile purpose (as they do in a few Boost libs).

--Beman