From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-15 10:19:45

nbecker_at_[hidden] (Neal D. Becker) writes:

> I just grabbed boost_1_29_0 and built the libs using:
>
> PYTHON_ROOT=/usr bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc"
>
> On Linux RedHat8.0.
>
> It succeeded, but there is some confusion. First, the various library
> builds are inconsistent with each other.
>
> python builds shared libs, both debug and regular.
>
> Under
> libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python.so/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/:
>

> libboost_python_debug.so.1.29.0
> libboost_python.so.1.29.0

Really? these should be staged in libs/python/build/bin-stage. I'm
particularly surprised about the latter showing up in the path you
describe.

> which seem to be the same thing.

They shouldn't be. Do they have the same size?

> Also, a symlink pointing to the latter.
>
> Under
>
> /libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python.so/gcc/release/inlining-on/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true
> libboost_python.so.1.29.0
>
> Now let's look at signals: We have
> libs/signals/build/bin/libboost_signals.a/...
> libs/signals/build/bin/libboost_signals.so/...
>
> This looks clear enough. Look inside them:
> signals/build/bin/libboost_signals.a/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/libboost_signals.a
> libs/signals/build/bin/libboost_signals.a/gcc/release/runtime-link-dynamic/libboost_signals.a
>
> libs/signals/build/bin/libboost_signals.so/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/libboost_signals.so.1.29.0
> libs/signals/build/bin/libboost_signals.so/gcc/release/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/libboost_signals.so.1.29.0
>
> Issues:
> #1. Library names, paths, build options not consistent with each other
> #2. libboost_signals.a is in a directory called runtime-link-dynamic,
> which is a contradiction

It's not a contradiction. This static library is built for linking to
a dynamic runtime library.

--
           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting