From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-15 16:17:16

[2002-10-15] Alkis Evlogimenos wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>From a previous post (library build confusion) there was a brief mention
of
>what a runtime-link-dynamic library is:
>
>This static library is built for linking to a dynamic runtime library.
>
>Can someone elaborate on the uses of the 2 different static library types?
>More specifically which of the 2 static ones should I use to create
>executables? runtime-link-dynamic or runtime-link-static, or it doesn't
>matter? Why does a static library need to be different if is build for
>linking to a dynamic library?

<runtime-link> refers to the type of Standard C++ Runtime library to use.
Most platforms support using both a library that is statically linked, all
the code is bundled with your application/dll/so. And using a library that
is dynamically linked, i.e. it's a shared object (DLL, or SO, etc).

Which type depends somewhat on your deployment preference, and more on the
specific platform you are using and what type of code you are writting. Most
of the time you want to use the dynamic runtime as it makes C++ exceptions
and memory allocs/deallocs work when using other C++ dynamic libraries. But
if you have an entirely self contained program you could use the static
runtime to reduce deployment dependencies.

HTH.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq - Grafik666_at_AIM - Grafik_at_[hidden]