From: Juan Carlos Arevalo-Baeza (jcab.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-19 22:53:49

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:35:43 +0800, Joel de Guzman wrote:

>Any specific reason for the interest in parser contexts? Actually,
>its purpose is to make the framework extensible.

   Yes, but what he said is true: the documentation is lacking. For example, how do you _make_ a context? I could probably learn to do it by examining the code, but right now I have no idea.

>>An inconvenience with Spirit is compile time, especially for larger
>>grammars. Bison certainly has an edge here ;-).
>
>Indeed. Right now, no real effort yet has been invested towards this goal.
>As you all understand, the original goal of Spirit was for small to moderate
>grammars. I was amazed to see projects such as JCAB's C++ parser
>pushing through. We are really pushing the compiler hard. Yet, I'm sure
>there are lots of potential for improvement in this area.

   Well... This would be very compiler-dependent. In any case, for what is worth, I found out that, upping my memory from 256 to 512 MB made GCC 3.0 CygWin compile the C++ grammar in 5 minutes instead of over 15. The compiler was occupying over 400 MB of memory and thrashing the swap file like crazy.

   Salutaciones,
                    JCAB
email: jcab_at_[hidden]
ICQ: 10913692 @WORK: 101728263