From: Eric Niebler (neric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-23 12:21:14

> How's Greta doing size-wise?
>
> Andrei

Before you complain about how "bloated" libraries like regex++ and GRETA are
compared to libs like PCRE, it's important to consider differences in the
feature sets. GRETA and regex++ are *generic* template libraries that work
with any bidirectional iterator type, with narrow or wide characters. PCRE
(as far as I know) only works on char*. Also, regex++ has an extremely rich
feature set, and GRETA is getting there. regex++ can work with C++ locales.
PCRE can't do that. You buy a lot of functionality with all that "bloat".

That said, I think GRETA is about as big as regex++. The GRETA regression
test compiles to a 570 Kb executable. That includes instantiations on 4
iterator types, x2 for different end-of-string policies, x2 for recursive
vs. iterative engine. That's a "kitchen sink" configuration -- most people
only need 1 or 2 instantiations. Also, I use a trick to fold similar
instantiations, which saves 200 Kb with the VC++ toolset, but which wouldn't
work with libstdc++ (though it might with stlport). YMMV.

HTH,
Eric
http://research.microsoft.com/projects/greta