From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-30 17:18:39

> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > I know that one can do a diff on each version of Boost to find out what
has
> > changed for a particular library, but I think that it would be very
helpful
> > for implementors using Boost to know what specifically has been added or
> > changed for each library in explanatory form. Does this information
exist or
> > has such an idea ever been discussed before ?
>
> No, it hasn't AFAIK. However, I like it. It certainly sounds a lot
> more useful than per-header changelogs.

Quite honestly I do not even see per-header changelogs in the headers at
which I am looking. Perhaps they can be generated when one pulls a file out
of CVS, but I don't see them appearing in the headers which are distributed.

Nonetheless, some sort of record of changes from release to release would be
most valuable. It would be a great help to those who need to update their
own implementations based on Boost's implementations, especially, as in my
case, when changes have been made to a Boost implementation for one's own
private version and a new release of Boost is issued.

Needless to say it would also be a benefit to those who are using a new
Boost release and want to understand explicitly what has changed from the
previous release and what new functionality has been added and where.

I know from my own experience that it is hard for developers to keep track
of every specific change as they develop a product, but I see little to no
indication of changes made between releases of Boost in its various
libraries, and find this lack of information disconcerting and unproductive
to Boost usage.