From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-31 12:14:48

--- Rene Rivera <grafik666_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Well thanks again to Ralf for doing some of the MacOSX work... and figuring
> out how to install the latest Python as a framework.
>
> Good news is...
>
> * Extensions and libboost_python build and link. That is the ones that
> compile.
> * Of the ones that produce an extension they are loaded by the Python
> interpreter.
> * Of the ones that load, some of them seem to run to completion, and what
> looks like without errors.

This is fantastic progress! At least we are at the point where we know it works
in general.

> Bad news...
>
> * Only a small number of them compile. The single compile problem is this
> error:

As per http://cci.lbl.gov/boost/ the Sun gcc 3.1 compilations are also failing
at the moment. The current boost CVS clearly is in need of maintenance.
Unfortunately I don't have time for this right now. If someone could help out
getting the gcc 3.1 compilations going again this would be great.

> * Of the ones that compile and load, the majority seem to just hang there
> doing nothing for some time. After some short period of time (~1 minute) I
> killed the Python interpreter. Don't know why this is, but it could be
> something as silly as it deciding to open a dialog box I can't see and is
> waiting for never to arrive feedback.

Unfortunately I am not too surprised. One of my (non-Boost.Python) regression
tests revealed a fairly bad Apple c++ bug: under certain (?) circumstances
objects are double-destructed! I've sent a comprehensive bug report to Apple
but have not heard back for a couple of weeks.

Ralf