From: Alisdair Meredith (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-01 06:55:24

David Bergman wrote:

> I think one other concern with XML variants, beside the sometimes
> unnecessary end tag, is the typographical edginess of "<" and ">".

Actually, I can think of another issue with < and > :¬ (

I would prefer an XML-based solution, as that simply seems to be the
direction of all things these days so there will be many reasons for
good XML support to be available on most platforms, rather than just
documentation needs.

However, the XML representation of '<' and '>' leaves a lot to be
desired if you want to store code-samples in the XML documentation.
Particularly unfortunate given the frequency of these symbols in C++ in
general, and the boost libraries in particular.

That would be enough to stop me editting documentation without more
complex tools, till now Notepad has been my XML editor of choice and
that potential simplicity was a large part of the lure.

--
AlisdairM