From: David Sankel (camio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-01 22:53:45

Hello all,

  Working with the boost.regex component, I have
noticed that regex_merge requires the input iterator
to have a -- operation.

  This unfortunately breaks compatiblity with the
std::istream_iterator and disallows a simple cin to
regex to cout stream.

  Attached is a simple sed look-alike program that
will not compile due to this iterator requirement. It
also contains a commented out workaround that copies
cin.rdbuf() to memory.

  I tried to remove the -- requirement in the code and
was unable to. I found some of it quite confusing.
The errors mostly came from
boost/regex/detail/regex_match.hpp.

  Has anyone else had this problem? Could anyone give
me some more information as to why the -- operator is
used, if it is necessary, and ultimately how to change
the regex code to not use it?

Thanks,

David J. Sankel
Electron Consulting