From: Martijn W. van der Lee (gmane_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-08 05:03:53

Hi,

Currently Ditto is working though there are some areas in which it can be
improved and being a one-person-design there's bound to be some gaps, for
this I would very much like the input of some more experienced C++ coders so
I am indeed looking for team members or atleast some comments.
As for comparing it to the Relational Tables these seem to be somewhat
different reading from Arkadiy Vertleyb's mails;

- RTL uses expressions for sorting/filtering whereas Ditto uses functors.
- RTL does not seem to automatically update it's views (or whatever it is
known as in RTL terminology); when a record is added to a table (or view),
it is not immediately available in all other views based on that table.
- Ditto can stack views as to provide multiple levels of refinement of the
underlying table.
- RTL can mix multiple tables into one singular view, Ditto currently cannot
(though the architecture is capable of this).
- Ditto can assign events (using callback functors) whenever a record is
added/changed/deleted and even when other events are triggered.
- Ditto can keep a pointer to a single record by means of a tracker class
which also plugs into the event mechanism, I don't know if/how RTL handles
this.

I may be wrong here with regards to RTL and perhaps the concepts of both
libraries can be mixed into one library, which would be ideal.
I'm also under the impression that the goals of the libraries are different,
RTL seems to want to be an in-memory relational database, Ditto tries to
provide a means of easily sharing data without a database in a GUI
environment.
Performance differences are also unknown to me and it may be impossible to
do a decent comparison if both libraries are indeed too different.

regards,
Martijn van der Lee