From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-09 21:18:46

Douglas Gregor <gregod_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Saturday 09 November 2002 02:22 pm, Victor A. Wagner, Jr. wrote:
>> Maybe it's my expectations that are out of whack.
>> Are there any rules for what's "commit"ed to the CVS main branch?
>
> There are no rules. The CVS trunk (main branch) is for Boost
> development. We try to keep it stable (because many users and
> developers seem to work out of CVS), but sometimes things break.

Fully agreed. However...

...recently (like in the past few weeks) things have been pretty bad,
IME. Lots of partially-baked changes have been checked in. There have
been occasional files missing, and some changes that were seemingly
never compiled also got committed. This has happened with core
libraries on which many other libraries depend. It's one thing to
check in broken code to a library like Boost.Threads, but quite
another to break, say, the type traits library, because it brings all
development of libraries which depend on it to a standstill if the
developer updates his CVS.

>> things I've found:
>> 1) the documentation main page still has ???, 2002 - Version 1.29.0
>> on it. Is this really the latest? how can we tell??
>
> The CVS trunk is the latest (unreleased, experimental) code.

No, he's right. Changes from Version_1_29_0 have still not been merged
into the index page.

Of course, you can tell by comparing with Version_1_29_0.

>> 2) regex doesn't compile on vc7
>
> Please report any errors either to the list or to the library author
> directly so that they can be fixed.

The point being that your message should probably contain the library
name in the subject line if you're posting to the list.

--
                       David Abrahams