From: Mattias Flodin (flodin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-11 10:01:53

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:07:40AM -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
> In this system, we use term "serialization" to mean a system where
> the current state of group of objects can be stored to a permanent
> medium that may outlast the current program execution. At any later
> time an equivalent group of objects can be restored from the
> permanent medium. It is the goal of this system to permit this
> facility to be included in any C++ program with a minimium of
> additional effort.

This description seems to indicate that the serialization library is not
intended for other uses of serialization than giving an object lifetime
beyond that of the program. For instance, serializing an object as a
step in preparing it to be transferred to another computer in a
distributed program. Is this true, or am I interpreting the text in a
too narrow-minded way?

--
Mattias Flodin <flodin_at_[hidden]>  -  http://www.cs.umu.se/~flodin/
Room NADV 102